Sunday, June 9, 2013

Accidental Leadership: Have You Got Justin Bieber Syndrome?

In my second book - Wise Heart - I dedicated a chapter to leadership. I chose the title, 'The Fish Rots from the Head' to emphasize the risk we take when we choose not to lead in business.

Often business leaders find themselves in a position of leadership without planning for it and certainly without preparing to lead with confidence. I call this the Justin Bieber syndrome. Justin Bieber is an extreme example I know, but in living his dream Justin devoted his life to his music and performing. Years of dedication and the clever use of technology enabled Justin to reach stratospheric heights. Every moment of his life is now witnessed by the worlds press. However, little did this superstar realise that he had unwittingly become a leader - a leader to millions of fans who now look to him for key messages and behaviours.


As a business leader you too may not be aware that your team are your fan base. Your successful business now has a set of dedicated people who want to share in your success; consequently you need to be aware that your every move is being watched. To NOT consistently think and behave as a leader you risk allowing your business to 'Rot from the Head'. However, the exciting and refreshing thing about 'Leadership in Business' is that there is no one 'right way' and there is no rule book. Your style is the best style for your business.

Let's face it, if Susan Boyle can be herself and become a super star then so can you.

In my early years of business I tried to replicate every style of leadership the best selling business authors threw at me but each time I began to implement these, I failed miserably. I simply wasn't being true to who I was. I have learnt to trust myself and allow the business to form under my unique leadership style. While trusting yourself is vital there still remain four non negotiable elements of successful leadership and these cannot be ignored!

The first element is ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. Accept your role, stand up and stand tall. Wasn't it interesting to see the impact David Beckham had on the London Olympic Games? Far from articulate, Beckham's success as an ambassador arose out of his willingness to accept the role his country needed him to fulfil!


The second is CONSISTENCY. It is essential that your business develops a positive and predicable cadence. You are the conductor so keep the beat steady and predictable. Keep visible and give clear direction at all times.

The third element is EXPOSURE. A good leader knows that they have limitations. Minimise your exposure to your limitations by employing to eliminate any weaknesses. Surround yourself with great people who connect with you and your leadership style.

The fourth is most important - FEARLESS. Be fearless at all times. Hold on to the dream and the passion and keep believing in yourself and your team.

It goes without saying that a great leader recognizes the team need not only to know where they are going but are regularly rewarded for their efforts. Sure this will mean you will share your financial wealth and success with them, but more importantly it also requires that you share your trust in their own leadership qualities. Encourage their growth as leaders, provide feedback on their successes regularly, challenge them to guide, and challenge those who look up to them. After twenty one years of leading a thriving and successful business, I still have to remind myself that strong leadership requires my personal investment every day.

While the return on my investment in continually developing and honing my leadership style has lead to significant financial gains, I am reminded every day of the most important return of all - to walk into the workspace and tangibly see and feel the excitement and passion my team have for their jobs.

I love my business and I love leading the great team I have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator