Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The time to speak out is right now


What a surprise! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I quietly picked up the Saturday Herald to read the ‘small’ piece that had supposedly made the paper that day. Never in a million years would I have foreseen the half page article written by Fran O'Sullivan sporting that title of ‘Annah wants to be PM for a day’! It was essentially my coming out, blazoned in front of me and the Herald’s 600,000 readership, whether I liked it or not!

A small breakfast presentation given to a group of Auckland businesswomen in support of the Dress for Success Charity where I'd chosen to speak on accountability had been the catalyst. This in turn led into some of the frustrations that I have with the social policy of this country and the pending $14 billion fiscal debt. Yep, I pay tax just like the rest of us and a lot of it!
So essentially this fashion designer got a platform that she may or may not have wanted. Is it simply a case of ‘be careful what you wish for’ or is it my subconscious getting a little sick of all the general discussion and frustration in regards to this and simply wanting a voice - a voice that talks to some common sense decisions that we all need to make to end this reign of benefit entitlement.

Maybe it’s a hankering to join the political arena as so many of you would think. Hmmm, be limited to speaking only to a level that ensures my re-election every three years Mrs Grey (not to be confused with the current book by the same name)? No thanks!

No, none of the above. It was with relish that I was able to support Fran's written comments with a follow-up interview on Newstalk ZB. This was my chance to elaborate on a scant press interpretation (a space issue maybe or just driving at a reaction) which was the result of the comment feast that occurred on the Herald's website.

Well, it was finally out! I got to practice what I so often preach. How can any of us make or at least begin to make any tangible change when we fear the repercussions? Just as I suppose I did when I saw the comments in print on such a substantive platform. I mean we are not talking The Piako Post (our local Paper) although in hindsite I'm surprised I haven't heard from them, being such strong supporters of my business at a local level. Maybe social policy isn't their bag as was the trip I have just completed to Galway, Ireland.

So why speak out … why not?
I certainly had some commonsense approaches that I believed would start to solve some of the country's problems. Look at the media conversations Owen Glenn has had in the last month with his crusade to highlight the horrific statistics of family violence in this country. We are the third worst in the world … how can that be with a population of only 4 million? His offer, albeit conditional, of 8 million dollars must surely, if directed well, start to make some inroads into this problem … or will it?

Surely there has to be a huge culture shift to ensure that this sort off behaviour is no longer normalised as it has been through the generations to date. Just as our children's generation no longer drink and drive, maybe we will get to a stage where violence in the home is reported via the correct channels rather than accepted and endured.

I am faced daily with a workforce of 160 women who not only pay tax, but are recipients of some of the welfare entitlements and endure some of the social problems, so I feel well qualified to comment.
I like many New Zealanders simply have an opinion, and yes it is just my opinion, but I suppose when you have worked for 20 years to establish a market place brand there will be people who are prepared to listen to you as the subsequent feedback would indicate. It’s thought leadership being used well, not to drive my bottom line but to drive the country's bottom line.

It will always be about tackling the tough stuff with good information and a considered approach. I have never run from confrontation. I am the fight not the flight. I believe it is the tough stuff that gets the change, and avoidance that causes the problems. So I urge more of you to speak out, consider the platforms that you may have listeners on, we all have them. Learn to have the tough conversations, never be okay with the status quo, drive change and in the words of Xero co-founder, Hamish Edwards, ‘Wake up pissed off every day!’

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator