Sunday, July 8, 2012

I'm in Ireland and got the teeshirt


Part two of our working break is about to begin.
We arrive in Ireland, Shannon to be exact, as Galway has no international airport. A car is hired and we set off north in search of our next destination.
We arrive and see a city of 70,000 wrapped up in festivity, proudly celebrating the Volvo Ocean Yacht race. Our hotel is cordoned off but we do find a park and check in to what resembles a Scenic Circle property at home. The win however is that it is right on top of all the action. We can see Camper and the other boats from our window… yep we are staying right on the docks. I love it and can definitely cope with a 4 star rating for this!



The first night, we braved the rain, scoped out the surrounding festivities (not a lot different to the food tents at any of our fairground shows) and made it to the designated restaurant, Cava where we ordered the mandatory tapas, passed on the wine and tried the local lemonade hmmm.


Day two we explored. Off we headed in our pint sized rental to Barna and O'Gradys restaurant to try the award winning fish and chips (when you don't have booze in your life you certainly focus on food).


Unfortunately the fresh cod did not get much above a 2 rating from us both so back to town to investigate the retail. Hmmmm… Definitely not a place that needs to be visited if one is looking for fashion direction but if it’s Gypsies and watering holes loaded with Guinness you want then you have a perfect match.
A formal dinner hosted by Rolex finished the day. Here we met the balance of the international designers along with some other great Irish personalities. Another dry night but then I possibly didn't miss too much as I've never seen the Irish as wine maker extraordinaires.
Day three and the models fit test looms. We find the Global Village and begin the long wait that attaches to days like these. The fittings over (I still don't know how the hell I will wrap 6 girls in Chameleons as I am positioned in the middle of a show but I’m about to give it a go) we head out for another food experience.
Calling up the expertise of our newly made Rolex friends we seek advice on location and end up dining in a cool little cafe right on the water ARD BIA… I loved it! Some great ideas gleaned for my own eating establishments and we headed off to wander; filling in time until the show at 8pm.
We arrive back at the Global Village around 7.30pm. It was great to get a couple of interviews with Irish media. I’m surprised they like us so much with the 60-0 thrashing that the All Blacks subjected them to in my home town of Hamilton. This also got a mention as they called my name in the show introduction.
The show begins. I watch the first few designers, ever aware of the time frames for me. We get close, out the back I go, models dressed tieing frantically with help from a local stylist Dehlila and out they go. They look fantastic! I know the senior styling team would have been proud (ever doubtful of my wrapping skills).


The show is over. At 10.30pm and still light outside we pack up and head back through a crowed port where hundreds of fans are ecstatic as they listen to their homegrown heroes, The Stun. There’s alcohol everywhere and getting very messy so we head back to the hotel. The music is pouring into our room as we are right in the middle of the action. Love love love it! As another city draws to a close for us we munch on a bag of crisps and drink the very flat Gaultier diet coke that we have discovered in our goodie bags. If that’s Galway I will be back!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator