Thursday, October 17, 2013

Will my daughter eventually be my succession plan





Well, I never thought I'd see the day. Sure my daughter, Sam was always my pipe dream of a succession plan. I never really wanted to see this wonderful brand that I had built so lovingly over the last twenty odd years pass to outside ownership, but I guess as they grow you never really know how it will all work out in the end so you keep the dialogue general whenever the questions come around on succession.

She's been a part of my company for so many years, doing all the roles that we have thrown at her, and often she's hated it more than the broccoli she refused to eat as a young girl. There have been tears, late starts, absences and loads of raised eyebrows.

But this time it's different. She's home for a six month break as she prepares to travel again and she's working with us in her most capable roll to date; a mix of operations, retail, head office and warehouse management, style advisor and EA to myself. She's owning it all like she never has before and it's so refreshing. Nothing is accepted ‘just because’… if it doesn't fit or flow she's looking to make it so.

After many years of being at loggerheads with her as she's interned with us, the change is delightful and extremely exciting for me. If she is at this stage now, just how well will she grow under my guidance over the next five years and there seems to be a healthier respect for the road I've travelled this time.

And talk about the special moments… she shares the sweet treat that we should both not have in the afternoon, she tackles the people that dare to spell my name incorrectly, she raises her eyebrows at the people challenges we encounter and most importantly she loves my new puppies and instead of finding reasons not to baby sit, she is there for me when I ask... she's really become that best friend we women all dream about.

Some tips for working with the ones you love…

1. Ensure when working with family members they get a good grounding in all the roles. It's important that they get a feel for the true heart and soul of the business… no matter how difficult or unpalatable the task is.

2. Be yourself. Don't make allowances for who you are at work. Sure you may behave differently as a mum but this is work and everything must remain equal.

3. Try and avoid the special privileges. It simply survives to make their induction pathway harder. Everyone will expect them to be brats.

4. Know that it may not work… as it was always your dream to work with your family members, not theirs and that's perfectly okay ... It's a bonus if it does.

5. Be careful to seek other advice on issues and not rely on their feedback - not because they won't disagree but more so because being part of you they are very likely to think a lot like you so you may not get a wide variety of differing thoughts and opinions.

My baby bird is up and ready to soar and I can't wait until she returns to finally take the helm. If this short working interlude is anything to go by, we will be in extremely good hands.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator