Tuesday, July 2, 2013

People do Business with People they Like

After meeting with someone for the first time, I can quickly tell you whether I like them or not.
Curiously, I often can't remember what it was that they may have said to help me make this decision but I can remember how they made me feel.

We all identify with likable people. Some individuals can even be likable while being very naughty - we can all relate to the characters often played by Hugh Grant. Their almost fiendishly bad behaviour is overlooked because of their innate likability. Even if you don't naturally have the gift of being charismatic or a likable rogue - everyone can benefit at some level from just being 'business friendly'!


 I am very comfortable to have developed strong friendships from business relationships. Many of my suppliers have remained in my business-sphere for over twenty years. Sure, they have run strong and successful businesses so they have remained viable business partners, but they have also managed their business with me in a positive and transparent manner. I simply like them as people first and choose to do business with them as a consequence.

Interestingly, 'being nice' can be difficult. Even if you believe you are putting out positive messages, you may be surprised to find that these messages are not working at all. The character, Bree Van der Camp from Desperate Housewives is a case in point. Her positive actions always seemed clipped and tainted with expectation… she certainly didn't resonate as strongly as the lovable and likable Susan Mayer - although her behaviour in the series was hardly exemplary! Being prepared to be likable in business becomes second nature if your focus remains on the people you interact with. Taking time to acknowledge them as individuals and not just business owners is a simple moment but a very powerful one. 

Equal effort on keeping both the business dealings smart and the business relationship warm will return huge benefits for both parties.
How powerful was the message just last week when two of the most important men on the planet sat just inches from each other. While neither Barack Obama nor Vladimir Putin spoke a word, the global audience observed a business relationship that was going nowhere fast. Of course, like all failing relationships, if a common goal and trust are absent then there is little hope of the relationship growing at all.

In my business relationships, trust must sit firmly atop the like-ability. Trust is the absolute foundation of any positive business relationship and for me to remain 'in-like' with any business owner, I need to be able to trust them 100% of the time. So, sorry there can be no likable rogues in my business dealings - not even if it was Hugh Grant himself.

So how do I ensure I promote myself as likable in my business relationships? For me, the greatest challenge is to make myself available. I know just how positively I react when business owners take time to make contact with me directly. I don't want to talk with the sales manager - I want to talk with the person who has built the business up from scratch. I feel respected and significant as a client when this happens. Therefore, I must give time and effort when establishing new business relationships. Many of my team are far more capable and would bring a lot more relevance to a business deal, but my investment of time and effort in establishing a new business relationship is vital to the connectivity and respect factors.


I recently had one of my New Zealand factory owners appear at my office door. He regularly visits our Head Office but I had never met him. He wanted to meet me in person to thank me for the work we were providing him. Just a small moment in a very busy day but my reaction to this man and his business since has been very strongly modified as a consequence of his efforts to make himself known to me in person. His business now has a face, a personality and a tone of respect and honour. Even after this short interaction I connected, I like who he is and to top it off, the work his team completes is 'top notch'. Good business with a very likable man!

In business there may not always be room for compromise but there should definitely be room for warmth and humility.
Business can have greater benefits than just profits. While you must expect efficiency, dignity and integrity from your business partners, why not invest some time to find out more about who they are as people?


Now how do we get Obama and Putin to the next level of friendly business?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator