Monday, January 21, 2013

Fat girl thinking thin



For most of my life I have been on some sort of diet - from the very regimented Jenny Craig to the ‘I really need to watch what I eat today and tend to eat more than the day before' moments. I have often said that fat truly is a feminist issue.

Why is it that most men have no guilt in scoffing down a Big Mac, fries and a full sugar coke? Me, I feel guilty after a cheeseburger and diet coke, even when it’s been consumed out of absolute necessity.
In fact,the quarter pounder with cheese is up there with one of my best overall meal experiences. I recall diving out of Christchurch not long after the first earthquake in September having spoken at an event to launch my second book ‘Wise Heart’ to a wonderful group of Zontarians. I hadn't however chosen to eat at the event largely given the lack of free-range food. Heading down the highway towards Ashburton where I was to speak at a breakfast event for the book the next day,I realized that I really did need to eat. Given the lack of choice at this time of night I selected the local Ashburton McDonalds, threw caution to the wind and went for the quarter pounder with cheese (diet coke of course and yes I did have the fries). 

JOY,JOY, JOY as I sat outside my motel and devoured every delightful mouthful. Nothing had tasted so good and nothing has for a long time.I could smell the cheesy smell on my hands when I woke up the next day, but oh the guilt, and to this day I have returned to the single cheese burger no fries and diet coke when the moment necessitates.

So what is this blog really about? I have suddenly become a ‘born-again’ regardingthe female body weight phenomenon that is attached to most of us women.

How? Well during the middle of 2012 (July to be exact) I completed Dry July; a program that sees you go without alcohol for a month in the interests of a cause… this one being helping the Auckland City Hospital.

I was one of  2131 participants who helped raised $546,084.68 which went towards projects such as installation of Wi-Fi in waiting areas, new seating, new children's play equipment and the construction of a healing/reflection garden.       http://nz.dryjuly.com/how-we-help/who-we-help/new-zealand/ 

 
Unbelievably, I was easily able to do 6 weeks and that’s with a trip to Ireland in the middle of it. Amazed at the discipline that I could apply to this challenge,I set about looking for other areas of my life that I lacked application to conquer. My yo-yo food preferences were a great place to start, some discussion with my Facebook friends and there was suggestion that I should give up refined sugar for a month, so I did.
Difficult… well you’re looking at a girl that enjoyed ice-cream (the full-fat kind) after dinner and liquorice pieces in abundance with her cup of green tea before bed.Yep, the first three days were tough but the rest of the time was a walk in the park. The result... 5 kgs came off my frame without even trying. I have remained off and the bonus is I have no desire to eat sugar... even with a New Year holiday break involving several bevies and very little exercise... the weight stayed off.

All I did was make a step change to the way that I lived my life. I’m not on a diet and I don't have to think about what I eat. In fact, I eat more than I ever have - just not refined sugar. Yep,I still enjoy a glass of wine as that’s natural sugar. The result of this is the same thing that we are asking people to do with the Million for a Million challenge. No, I haven't given up on this great initiative. I truly believe that we can collaboratively combat the stigma of being the world’s third fattest nation by at least starting the conversations.
Now I can honestly say that I am truly sugar-free. I choose not to eat refined sugar and have no problem when those around me do. What is it they say? 21days and it becomes a habit - well I am truly there. I no longer crave a bounty bar in the afternoon or finish my meal with my much-loved strawberry ice-cream. I don't want to nor need to.

So I urge all of you to apply a discipline to your life in 2013. Just do one small thing for your health then forget it.I did and reaped the benefits that I'd been searching for all my life. Weight-loss was one thing but the bigger gain has to be the control that I now have, coupled with the resultant health benefit.

Log on to Million of a Million and make that start today at www.millionforamillion.co.nz


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator