Monday, October 22, 2012

Fiji Fashion Week; the most ambitious of projects?





Day two in the city where it rains every day. I can't complain about the temperature and at least I am being acclimatized for my trip to Mumbai, India next week.
Today’s official luncheon event was at one of the local hotels right in the heart of Suva and having not yet navigated the city it was a surprise to find myself right in the thick of it. I'm not sure if I like what I see as the western world plonks itself into prime sites ready to capture the population’s hard earned cash at every opportunity.
 The biggest concern has to be the fast food outlets. We all know this spells health degeneration and obesity in whatever language you speak. I know this likely assault on all the available fast food establishments will only add to the country’s growing social issues.
 A debt that is also being further increased as the Fijians turn to the Chinese (given the political stance taken by NZ and Australia on the Coup) to enable the building of its larger convention centres and injection of funding to maintain their fragile infrastructure. Yes, this country is not without its problems.
 This mix of developed and developing worlds will always present problems, problems that almost become unsolvable in this digital age. Bureaucrats that are prepared to legislate and effect real change are few and far between and even when they do, timeframes and process are too slow. The digital age will always be racing ahead and presenting the world with the next best thing and possibly providing the next challenge for those that are under resourced and uneducated.
 The luncheon was in aid of the Dilkusha Children's home (an orphanage), one of many I am told, and whilst I would have loved to have seen the premises that was the recipient of this event, I was keen to be able to add real value to the cause, happy to match the amount that was paid for the auctioned Chameleon dress that I had donated.


 There are many institutions such as this on the island, the result of pressure to ensure ongoing family support is available and to avoid the shame that a child born out of wedlock will bring. One woman has even had an alarm installed on her step to let her know when a baby has been left at her door - she can get up to two babies a week .
 Conversations such as these start me thinking as to the possibilities, so many childless couples in NZ that have been unable to adopt, given the red tape hurdles, surely there must be a solution to the problem sitting three hours away on a tropical island.
 The luncheon is over, one excited woman pays $1000 for LaQuan Smith’s made-to-order gold rubber dress, helped by the pitch that the same dress was worn by Rhianna in her latest video; perfect ….it’s all part of an ever growing fund! A quick taxi ride home with a jittery driver (I've had worse…think he was listening to Rhianna) and I'm left to my own devices, the rain is pouring down so the open hotel lounge looks like a great option.
 The opening night of Fiji Fashion Week was fantastic …a huge effort from the organizers, one that was well beyond my expectations. The designers did themselves proud and the event enabled all levels of talent to showcase. The opening made me proud to have been a part of this culture in that it has so many similarities to NZ Pacifica.
 Friday…I am picked up by Mark, unapologetic for his hour time delay, shades of AirNZ, and I wonder if I will ever get used to Fiji time. He takes me to look at some of the clothing manufacturing capability here in the islands (no this is not an option for us, in fact it turns out to be quite expensive, especially when quoted in Australian $$) but it’s great to see and do as much as I can in the industry while here in Suva.
Mark has been here for 25 years and has himself well established. His factory is reminiscent of my first rag trade job and the operation that they ran, so none of this is foreign to me. He has a huge goal of recreating the manufacturing base that Fiji used to have and given the changes to legislation re outworkers in Australia, the time has never been more right. There certainly is a labour force to do so and a need to create the much needed employment. There are challenges however, as the Fijians have a propensity to let life interfere with their desire or need to work.
 My goal would be to see more of the local designers take centre stage as they certainly have the talent, to get them thinking more commercially, producing locally and meeting a tourist count that is as high as 700k surely gives them an excellent target market. Show me a woman that wouldn't want to take back a great frock as a reminder of her island holiday.
 Rosie Emberson Semisi has to be one of my favorite local designers. This lady had executed an excellent show that has huge potential to capture a relevant market. There were however many others who certainly have the ability to take their designs to market, but at this stage Fashion Week seems to be where it stops for most of them.
 Lunch on Friday at the NZ High Commission was a high point. I spoke briefly to 40 women from NZ or associated with us in some way. Some wonderful connections were made that hopefully will enable a return visit and some further work with local business. The rest of the day became monopolized by my pending fashion show, sorting my models became a moving target. The heat in the room was like nothing I'd ever been in, the dressers a little light on the ground…who am I kidding? It was chaos, but I did it and the show looked great! Show over, I said my goodbyes, went in search of food and prepared myself for a 4am checkout the next day.
 So if that’s Fiji Fashion Week, I've done it! What a great initiative from Ellen and her team! A wonderful platform to enable the showcasing of the local talent. I for one, was proud to be a part of it.


 

 

Some of my favourites from Fiji Fashion Week: L-R - Hupfeld Hoerder, Aisea Konrote Fostino and Tav


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator