Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bula...I'm in Fiji...and make that Suva!



        The trip begins badly when courtesy of Air NZ I get to spend four hours in the Koru Lounge. Not convinced that a flight with engine troubles would even depart, I was making plans for another night with my under-loved partner.
        The boarding call finally came, however the apologies for the huge delay were surprisingly limited and three hours later I'm in Nadi wondering whether my almond nuts that I'd harassed Tony to buy 20 minutes before leaving Morrinsville would make it through the Customs' sniffer dogs (yep they have them here as well), let alone the bio security machines. I show them to the officials as I enter and all is fine. Great, as these are my life line to healthy energy.
        Speaking of healthy snacks, I had a 'will I or won't I?' moment occur as I took out of my carry-on bag to check what was left of the mango strips that I had been devouring all day. This is especially important given the continued lack of free range options available as part of the in-flight meals. Perhaps we need a picture of a caged, sick chicken to feature on the safety video. Surely people want to know the origins of their plane food and ethical food choices are kind of a safety message aren’t they?
       A languid wait follows in 25 degree heat for a hotel shuttle that never arrives. We eventually climb into the nearest yellow taxi and head to our destination for the night, a seamless check in and into bed for a pointless four hours sleep. I'm back up again at 5am to be at the airport by six and the flight drama continues as flights are being cancelled given the imminent thunder storms. Undeterred, I quietly review my presentation and listen for a boarding call that eventually comes. I’m in the air and at last heading to my final destination.
        I’m picked up at the Suva airport and head towards the forum that I was supposed to open. I’m an hour late but then that’s Fiji time!
        The forum begins as another speaker has opened for me, Robert Kennedy, a well known Fijian textile designer that is doing work out of Bali. My turn is next. Thankfully the students and other attendees have stopped noisily rolling into the lecture theatre. 



        I speak for an hour, thoroughly enjoying the platform and audience. I then decide to listen to a couple more of the speakers. LaQuan Smith, a designer at 23, is fascinating. He reveals his life and business in New York and an initial marketing approach…a huge LOL moment as he describes wearing his own frocks in all the right places. The traction he has now is impressive as his data show is full of Rihanna, Beyonce and Tyra Banks. He displays such a huge passion and an absolute tenacity to succeed…pretty much the traits of all successful people.


        The conference day concludes. I head back to the hotel, a quick bag shuffle and I’m picked up by a very agitated driver as the rest of his assigned charges are still lunching, having ignored a designated time call. I guess arrogance exists in all cultures.
        The fit tests go okay. The models are lot bigger than their NZ counterparts, but in a great way. The colours of the Crush collection look stunning on the girls’ dark skins.
        With fit tests over, we begin to watch the rehearsals…long delays and much chaos. I haven't eaten all day so decide I can fix up the run challenges tomorrow. Five girls on the catwalk will never work when I have two changes and ten models…let’s just hope they have the music and the right logo…
Loving being up here and tomorrow’s another day!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator