Thursday, April 4, 2013

She's one of the good guys…so why do we wait to acknowledge this with her death?



On Wednesday, I flew back in from China excited as to the possibilities and the relationships that keep growing from within this country.
On Thursday, I was in Whangamata at the funeral (celebration of life) of a good friend and capable team member’s Mother.
As I entered the Whangamata golf club where the service was being held, I had visions of being back at work at 3.30pm. The funeral was at 1pm and it takes a good hour to do the trip.
I was so wrong!
 


                                       

As a I sat clutching the tissue that was issued on entry, I reflected on the many funerals that seem to be part of our company’s landscape at the moment, and given the recent update of my Will, Trust and Memorandum of Wishes, I thought about how it would all play out on the day of my death.
This moment however, was about Anne Duigan. I was feeling very pleased about Kerry’s recent posting at the Whangamata store over the Christmas period where she and her daughter, Anijka, got to spend an extended period of time with their now deceased mother/grandmother. While not aware of it at the time, this time was to be their last time with her as a ‘well’ person.

As the service unfolded, I learnt so much about a woman that I had never known and I got to hear the other members of the family speak in celebration of her wonderful life.
A woman that wanted for little (certainly not the trappings of wealth that we all chase through the lotto balls), a woman that supported many, that worked hard to ensure that the daily tasks of being a mum and partner were completed (how many of us would get up to prepare food for our partners as they head out for a day of fishing or hunting
?), that loved and supported her neighbours, enjoyed a weekly visit to the hairdresser and drove a little yellow car that she referred to her as her 'little pound of butter'. She truly was one of life's grafters; no hand-outs, no entitlements… just plain old hard work and a focus on supporting friends and neighbours with humour, good food, knitting and her time. They said that once she met you, you were considered to be her friend. Yep, she still loved a drink and a sneaky ciggy. 



So many wonderful people (family and friends) stood up to speak on that day to celebrate her life. One presentation was even in song. I left feeling replete in that I know Anne would have approved of her final hurrah. In fact many of her nieces and nephews read prose prepared during their school years that she had requested was to be kept for her funeral.
Life is short and its parameters keep changing, so embrace it every day. Find yourself and remain true to who you are and what is important to you; not what others say you should be. Just as Anne did.
On Thursday we farewelled a true ‘good sort’ and we need so many more of these great women!



My challenge to you all is to become one!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator