Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Well at least we are not the second most overweight nation!!!



I have just spent the last week working in Tasmania, Launceston where we have placed our fourth Australian store. Why there? - I hear you ask. Well, it’s simply about developing a brand presence on the perimeters of this country before we engage on our assault of the Australian cities and so Launceston makes perfect sense.


Yes we did our home work in selecting this location; a week in Tasmania on holiday and during this time, after a visit Lauceston became the preferred destination as it simply looked like it had all its retail sited together and buoyant.
We have now been trading for six months with a wonderful manager who advocates and loves the brand, so my trip was all about starting to connect with the relevant demographic's via a program of speaking to the local women's groups!
I was connected through a very engaged Zonta lady, Carol, who had done a wonderful job getting me in front of a variety of clubs and groups in the state.
I perused my intinery as I landed in Tasmaina, a state with many similarities to NZ but with the benefit of hindsight perhaps climatically only.
A small lunch starts my speaking program attended by 20 women from various professions. I'm grateful of the opportunity but possibly hoping for a bigger audience with the next event.
I later drive to Devonport and the local golf course to be greeted by a wonderful group of ladies from a very healthy Zonta chapter. I arrive home feeling exhilarated and extremely local, I'm now calling myself Australasian.
The next evening I speak to a Westpac women's group - Ruby - which was well attended and they loved the frocks. Presentation over, I head to the best Thai restaurant in the city to celebrate with our manager a job well done.
I reflect on the days past and consider my learnings. This state has its challenges with 50% of the inhabitants on a benefit of some sort, placing them second only to the Northern Territory (possibly not a store destination). There appears to be some weight challenges and there is definitely some money hurdles but I know I've still got a demographic to sell to and have met many wonderful ladies on this trip and inroads have been made, as there's nothing like being in a country to really discover the nuances of its population. 


Developing the business model in Australia is like going back to the start of my business life. It is not the same as retailing in NZ even though here are many similarities. Success here will need engagement with the local women's groups and a product mix that is reflective of the climate; there is a preference for cotton fabrics in summer given the extreme heat .
There is however a nice fit for our brand which is unlike any that they have, and a broad demographic of taste that will enable strong sales should we target the right people and get the message out well.
Community is important outside the cities just as it is in NZ , so we are well versed in how to engage. I'm excited as to the possibilities of this large country which in many ways is closer to the states than NZ, so maybe … just maybe… if I conquer here .. the USA becomes a very real opportunity!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 annahstretton-WWMT-TV. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator